Sometimes you need to calm down after an argument, have the need to quiet your mind so you can fall asleep, or you just need to get it together before doing something new and scary. Having a calm mind definitely makes dealing with everyday life issues much easier.
One technique that I have been using recently is called The 4-7-8 Breath Technique.
It is really straightforward, takes almost no time, and requires no equipment. Although you can do this exercise in any position, it is recommended to sit with your back straight while learning this exercise, in case you feel a bit light headed at first (which will pass, so nothing to be afraid of!).
Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there throughout the whole exercise, as you will be exhaling through your mouth, around your tongue.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose while counting to four in your head.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound again, and this time count to eight.
- This concludes 1 full cycle. So now inhale again, and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breath cycles.
The trick is to inhale quietly through your nose, and exhale loudly through your mouth, while keeping the tip of your tongue in the same position the whole time.
Here is a video that goes through the all the steps very clearly, in case you want to give this amazing exercise a try!
This exercise is like a tranquilizer for your nervous system. The first time you try it, the effects might feel very subtle, but with repetition, it will become a very powerful too! 🙂